Serving Those Who Served: Librarian's Guide to Working with Veteran and Military Communities
Practical advice on how best to serve veterans, service members, and their families in your community, including effective ways to develop new outreach partnerships and collaborations.
Whether you work in a public library, an academic library, a school library, or any other type of library, you are likely to encounter members of the veteran and military communities. This book is a starting point to help librarians, library administrators, and all library employees understand how veterans, service members, and their families can be different from other patrons, recognize important elements of military and veteran culture, and identify strategies for effectively serving the veteran and military communities.
In this book, you find tips to help you determine the size and the needs of the veteran and military communities in your local area. You'll learn about some common information requests and information-seeking behavior of veterans and service members. You'll discover how to take the needs and also the unique strengths of the veteran and military communities into account when developing library outreach efforts, programs, services, and collections. And you'll gain insights to help you harness the knowledge, strengths, and experiences of the veteran and military communities in order to help them fulfill their potential as an asset to the library and to the community.
- The first guidebook of its kind, intended to support librarians, administrators, and library employees of all types better serve the veteran and military communities
- Presents insights from authors who are both Army veterans as well as professional librarians engaged in working with the veteran and military communities in libraries
- Explains how to estimate the number of veterans, service members, and their families in your library community and provides an overview of the types of issues and questions they may have
- Provides recommendations to help librarians coordinate their efforts with existing military and veterans' organizations in order to provide the best, most efficient programs and services for veterans, service members, and their families
- Offers concrete ideas and suggestions related to outreach, programming, services, and collection development for the veteran and military communities
Detalls del producte
Obtingues ingressos recomanant llibres
Genera ingressos compartint enllaços dels teus llibres favorits a través del programa d’afiliats.Uneix-te al programa d’afiliats